As a Stampin' Up! Demonstrator, I often have snacks at my events and always get asked for recipes. So, I have decided to post some of my favorite recipes here to share with you. I won't be posting on any sort of schedule, but do check back often to see what's cookin' at LA Stamper's house!

Please note, that I often cook by sight and make things up. I will do my best to show you and give approximate measurements for recipes where I do this!

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Corn Chowder

One of my favorite soups to make is Corn Chowder.  My family loves it too...in fact, my kids call it "Mom's Famous Corn Chowder"!  I'm not sure how famous it is outside our family, but I do know it's the perfect meal to warm you up on a cold day!

Now, this is one of those recipes that I make that I really don't measure.  It one of those "little of this, little of that" recipes.  So, I will do my best to explain what I do and try to tell you how much of each ingredient I use.
  
Let's start with the ingredients you will need.


In addition to these ingredients, I always add salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.  And, you will also need some bacon bits at the end!

Step one is to wash and cut your potatoes.  This time around, I had little potatoes, so we quartered them and used them.  If I just have regular potatoes (like Russets), I peel and dice them.


Once they're all cut up, you want to toss them in the hot tub just covered with water to get happy!  And, just before they're fork tender (don't over cook them, because they will cook more while the rest of the soup cooks) add in some onions sauted in butter (I do this in the microwave...1 medium onion diced with a tbsp or two of butter).


Now, it's time to add the milk.  Don't drain your potatoes...this is important!  That potato water is not only full of flavor, but also potato starch that will help thicken the soup.  And, I have a very technical measurement for the milk...see those rivets where the pot handle is attached to the pot?  I add milk up to there!  My best guess is that it's about 6 cups!


Now it's time to add the corn.  I use 4 cups of niblets (in the fall I blanch and freeze a couple sacks of corn just before it's out of season.  I freeze it in ziplocs...4 cups per bag).  And, one large can of Creamed Corn (did you know there's actually no cream or dairy in canned cream corn?).

And, of course, add in your seasonings...salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.


You want to let it simmer, stirring often to avoid having it burn, until the corn is cooked. 

Now, if it's not thick enough for you, you can take a little soup out of the pot and mix it with some flour.  Make sure you whisk it so there's no lumps! Then return it to the pot and make sure the soup comes back to a boil.  This will thicken it up nicely!


Finally, just before you're ready to serve, throw in a few handfuls of bacon bits.

I like to serve it with some grated cheddar sprinkled on top!


I also like to serve it with some fresh cheese biscuits or buns, but that is a whole other post!  Enjoy your soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment